Part I: Ghulam Mohammad Shah snatched the power from his brother-in-law Farooq Abdullah and became the chief minister of Jammu and Kashmir on 2 July 1984. Shah started constructing a large mosque, named Shah Masjid, within the premises of an ancient Hindu temple inside the New Civil Secretariat area in Jammu. When Kashmiri Hindus took to streets to protest with large demonstrations and marches against this decision, Shah instigated “Islam Khatrey Mai Hai” (Islam is in danger).

As a result, Kashmiri Hindus came under radar of Kashmiri Muslims. Next, incidents of Kashmiri Hindus being killed, their properties being damaged and their temples being destroyed started being reported.

On 4 Jan 1990, local Urdu newspapers, Aftab and Al Safa published a press release, “We order you to leave Kashmir immediately, otherwise your children will be harmed- we are not scaring you but this land is only for Muslims, and is the land of Allah. Sikhs and Hindus cannot stay here’. The threatening note ended with a warning, ‘If you do not obey, we will start with your children. Kashmir Liberation, Zindabad.” They were given three choices—Ralive, Tsaliv ya Galive (convert to Islam, leave the place or perish).

On 20 Jan 1990, Kashmiri Hindus were mercilessly looted, slaughtered and their women raped and chopped. It was death, destruction and despair. Unfortunately, rest of India did not hold placard to demand justice for Kashmiri Hindu women who were inhumanly raped and chopped.

Part II: On 29 May 2009, Neelofar Jan, 22 and her sister in law, Aasiya Jan, 17 disappeared while they were coming from apple orchard. Both were residents of Bongam in Shopian. The next day, on 30 May 2009, their dead bodies were found in Rambi Ara Nallah. Post-mortem revealed no marks on the dead bodies including private parts. Local Police said, “Women appeared to have drowned in a stream.”

However, the villagers alleged that both women were raped and murdered by security forces. Separatists leaders called up protests that turned violent. Administration had to clamp curfew that continued for 47 days. Even if, no FIR was registered for either rape or murder, the government of Jammu and Kashmir ordered for a judicial probe by Justice Muzaffar Jan. On 7 June 2009, J&K police filed FIR of rape and murder following widespread protest across the state.

Justice Muzaffar Jan cooked up a story that both women were gang raped. Shopian Civil Hospital manufactured all the evidences to corroborate the gang rape. Meanwhile, Kashmir continued to burn and be violent against Indian Army. Even Shopian Bar Association made their own fact finding teams and concluded that both women were raped and murdered.

At last CBI was called in to investigate the entire probe. Teams of doctors went to Kashmir. Dead bodies of both women were exhumed. Fresh post-mortem was conducted in presence of local doctors including AIIMS. DNA samples and vaginal swabs were sent to three different CFSL labs. Forensic report confirmed that both women died of drowning. No external injury was found on bodies. What is alarming in whole episode that samples sent by Justice Muzaffar Jan did not belong to deceased. Whole protest and narrative were cooked up and manufactured.

CBI gave clean chit to Shopian policemen and doctors who had been suspended by team of 13 members of doctors and policemen’s fabricated report. And CBI indicted 13 members of policemen, doctors and lawyers for fabricating evidences. Such was the character of JK administrators who are highly designated.

Part III: On 12 January 2018, Mohammad Yusuf lodged a complaint in Hiranagar police station that his 8 years old daughter had been missing after she had gone to watch over grazing horses in afternoon on 10 January 2018. An FIR was lodged with police.

On 17 January 2018, the dead body of the victim was found and taken into custody for autopsy.

On 22 January 2018, the investigation of the case was transferred to Crime Branch, Jammu & Kashmir. Police released a statement listing 8 persons, who had been arrested for the crime, including four police officers and a juvenile. Two of the police officers were arrested for destroying evidences.

On 9 April 2018, charge sheet was filed stating Sanji Ram was the mastermind of kidnap and murder.

The post-mortem revealed “the girl had been drugged with a sedative before she was raped and murdered.” Forensic evidence suggested that she had been held captive for several days by Sanji Ram, also victim had been raped multiple times by different men before she was strangled to death.

How come a policeman, involved in a rape and murder case a few years ago, who evaded arrest for three years despite being a officer, is a member of the SIT to investigate such sensitive case?

On 20 April 2018, national daily Dainik Jagaran reported the victim was not raped. This is one rarest case in which accused are fighting tooth and nail for CBI investigation.

Why was the name of victim revealed by media in this case, although they never disclosed the name of Nirbhaya? Why was this outrage manufactured after three months? Our Supreme Court is opened at midnight for a convicted terrorist Yaqub Memon, but media trial declared entire ruling party at centre guilty. Why? Wasn’t Kathua rape case manufactured the same way Shopian drowning of two women was doctored as gang rape and murder by Indian Army?