Amazing description by Sadhguru.
What is Rudraksha
- Rudraksha is the seed of a particular tree species which usually grows at a certain altitude in the mountains – mainly in the Himalayan region. Unfortunately, most of these trees were used to make railway sleepers, so there are very few of them remaining in India. Today, they are mostly found in Nepal, Burma, Thailand or Indonesia. They are there in some parts of the Western Ghats in South India, but the best quality ones come from a certain altitude in Himalayas because somehow the soil, atmosphere, and everything influences it. These seeds have a very unique vibration.
- Usually the beads are strung together as a mala. Traditionally, they believe the number of beads is 108 plus one. The extra bead is the bindu. There must always be a bindu to the mala, otherwise the energy becomes cyclical and people who are sensitive may become dizzy. An adult should not wear a mala with less than 84 beads plus the bindu. Any number over that is fine.
- The mala can be worn all the time. You can even wear it when you shower. If you take cold water baths and are not using any chemical soap, it is especially good for the water to flow over it and upon your body. But if you are using chemical soaps and warm water, it becomes brittle and will crack after sometime, so it is best to avoid wearing it at such times.
Benefits of Wearing Rudraksha
- For someone who is constantly on the move and who eats and sleeps in various places, rudraksha is a very good support because it creates a cocoon of your own energy. You might have noticed that when you go to a new place, sometimes you can fall asleep easily, whereas in certain other places you cannot fall asleep even if you are physically tired. This is because, if the situation around you is not conducive to your kind of energy, it will not let you settle down.
- For sadhus and sanyasis, places and situations could trouble them because they were constantly moving. One of the rules for them was never to put their head down in the same place twice. Today, once again, people have started eating and sleeping in different places because of their business or profession, so a rudraksha can be helpful.
Types of Rudrakshas: Ek mukhi, panchmukhi & more
- The number of faces a bead can have varies from a single face up to 21 faces. They are used for different purposes, so it would be improper to just buy something in the shop and put it on the body. Wearing the wrong type could disturb one’s life. A lot of people want to wear an ek mukhi, which has only one face because it is very powerful. You yourself have many faces. When you have many faces, if you wear an ek mukhi, you are asking for trouble.
- People say if you wear an ek mukhi, you will leave your family within twelve days. Whether you leave the family or not is not the issue, it is just that it will make your energies in such a way that you will want to be alone. It doesn’t make you compatible to be with other people. If you have to wear other kinds of special beads, it is best that it is received from someone who knows these things, not just buying from the shop and putting it on your system.
- Five-faced beads or panchmukhi is safe and good for everyone – man, woman and child. It is for general wellbeing, health and freedom. It lowers your blood pressure, calms your nerves and brings a certain calmness and alertness in your nervous system. Children below 12 years of age can wear six-faced beads. It will help them calm down and be more focused. Above all they will receive the right type of attention from the adult.
- The Gauri-Shankar is a certain kind which brings balance between your Ida and Pingala. Generally, people believe it will bring them prosperity. Prosperity need not necessarily mean just money. It can come in so many ways. You may not own anything but still you can be prosperous in your life. If you are a balanced person and you function sensibly in your life, prosperity may come. It happens when energies function well. A Gauri-Shankar balances and activates your Ida and Pingala.
- If you have chosen to purify your life, a rudraksha is a good tool and aid, a little support on the way. When someone is walking the spiritual path, he wants to use every little support on the way to enhance himself, and it is definitely a very good support. A guru usually energizes a rudraksha in different ways for different kinds of people. For people in family situations, it is energized in one way. If you want to be a brahmachari or a sanyasi, it is energized in a completely different way. People in family situations should not wear something energized in a certain way.
Finding Genuine Rudraksha Malas
- Traditionally, malas were always dealt with by people who held it as a sacred duty in their lives. For generations, they did only this. They also made their living out of it, but fundamentally it was like a sacred duty of offering it to people. But once the demand became too much, commerce came in. Today in India, there is another seed called badraksh which is a poisonous seed, which grows extensively in Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and that area. To look at, both these seeds look the same. You cannot make out the difference. Only if you take it in your hand and if you are sensitive, you will know the difference. This should not be worn on the body, but these are being sold as authentic beads in many places. So it is important that you get your mala from a trusted source